A sampling of submissions to All Saints’ Anniversary Flower Festival, September 17-18, 2016. An astonishing assortment of vibrant colours, floral scents, and whimsical designs in celebration of All Saints’ 150 years of ministry activity.
A young red maple has been planted in commemoration of All Saints’ 150 years and in memory of deceased members of the church. A gift from a current member, the tree recognizes the deep roots that All Saints’ has in the Town of Whitby and it honours the Christian ministry of our first founders and the generations of parishioners who have gone before. The tree has been dedicated and blessed, and in the years ahead, we will have the pleasure of watching it grow, just as All Saints’ continues to grow and reach out in faith and fellowship with its community.
The tree is located beside the path at Bassett Boulevard opposite Lismer Drive (behind the Town Hall).
The St. Cecilia window is dedicated to the Glory of God and in loving memory of Joseph and Emma Agg and their family. Joseph Agg was organist and choir director at All Saints’ from 1919–1926, Emma was an active member of the choir and the Woman’s Auxiliary.
The window is rich and warm in its varying shades of cream, gold, green, and brown. The bright golden organ occupies the right foreground of the window and is commanding in its mass and brilliance. The angel rising in the upper back third of the window is dramatic and eye-catching. The compression of its wings in the arch of the window creates the impression that the grandeur of this angel is barely contained within the scene. The subject of the window, St. Cecilia herself, occupies the left-hand portion of the window. The nimbus and red shawl collar of her cloak serve to frame her lovely face.
Conspicuously central to the window, in the space between these three major elements — the saint, the organ, the angel — is Cecilia’s single upraised hand. Her fingers are elegantly outstretched and her thumb slightly crossed over her palm as if she has just raised her hand from the keyboard. Consider also the tilt of her jaw and the way she is glancing sideways and upward toward the angel. This is no question that this central gesture is that of a conductor, perhaps cueing her trumpeter to an entry or maybe a tempo change in her song. How fitting a memorial for a music director.
In her time (c 200 AD), Cecilia was a cultivated young Roman woman who vowed her virginity to God. On her wedding day, “as the musicians played, she sang in her heart to God only” (cantantibus organis illa in corde suo soi domino decantabat). Cecilia told her new husband, Valerian, that she was accompanied by an angel, and in order to see it, he must be baptized. Valerian and his brother were converted and later martyred for their faith. Cecilia was also killed. Some accounts indicate that as she was dying, Cecilia again sang in her heart to God. By the 15th century, St. Cecilia was declared Patron Saint of musicians, poets, and church music. In art, she is most often depicted playing the organ and accompanied by cherubim or an angel. Palms, a symbol of martyrdom, and lilies, the flowers of purity, also often appear in St. Cecilia depictions. Not surprisingly, St. Cecilia windows are usually situated in choir lofts, music rooms, or near to the organ.
A final notable feature of this window is the last line of the dedication: “Given by the late Ronald Agg 1985.” It was Ronald Agg, Joseph and Emma’s youngest son, who spearheaded the arrangements for the window’s creation and installation. He did not live to see it dedicated.
Whitby Doors Open 2016 this May celebrated the life and history of John Hamar Greenwood. The window on the west wall of All Saints is dedicated to his memory and to that of his wife, Charlotte Churchill Hubbard.
The couple was married in 1865 in Pickering by the Incumbent of All Saints’, the Rev. J. D’Arcy Cayley. The church building was in the process of being constructed at the time.
Mr. Greenwood (1829-1903) was a lawyer, a mayor of Whitby, and an active member of the church. Mrs. Greenwood was the daughter of a United Empire Loyalist family.
One of their sons, born 1870 and originally named Thomas, but later taking Hamar as his first name, emigrated to England and eventually served as Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1920-1922. He was created a Baronet in 1915 and later became 1st Viscount Greenwood” in 1937.
In 1938, Viscount and Lady Greenwood visited Whitby and All Saints for the dedication of his parents’ memorial window. He is named in the window along with his six siblings, Mary, Charlotte, William, Florence, Margery, and Gladys.
In the circular window is the Greenwood coat of arms, with the family motto, “Law and Loyalty”. In the main panels, the left one depicts a figure of “Faith” and the right one “Charity”. The plaque also bearing the Greenwood coat of arms was placed beneath the window by the congregation after the Viscount Greenwood’s death in 1938.
Above the Rev. E. Ralph Adye, Rector of All Saints’ Church, Viscount Hamar Greenwood, Viscountess Greenwood (with children Eric and Doborah behind her), and the Most Rev. Derwyn T. Owen, Archbishop of Toronto and Primate of all Canada, stand in front of All Saints’ after the unveiling of the Hamar Greenwood memorial window on September 4, 1938.
Below the Greenwood family poses with R.S. and Mrs. McLaughlin who hosted the Greenwood at Parkwood, the McLaughin residence in Oshawa. See more images in the Whitby Digital Archives.