Whitby Doors Open 2016 this May celebrated the life and history of John Hamar Greenwood. The window on the west wall of All Saints is dedicated to his memory and to that of his wife, Charlotte Churchill Hubbard.
The couple was married in 1865 in Pickering by the Incumbent of All Saints’, the Rev. J. D’Arcy Cayley. The church building was in the process of being constructed at the time.
Mr. Greenwood (1829-1903) was a lawyer, a mayor of Whitby, and an active member of the church. Mrs. Greenwood was the daughter of a United Empire Loyalist family.
One of their sons, born 1870 and originally named Thomas, but later taking Hamar as his first name, emigrated to England and eventually served as Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1920-1922. He was created a Baronet in 1915 and later became 1st Viscount Greenwood” in 1937.
In 1938, Viscount and Lady Greenwood visited Whitby and All Saints for the dedication of his parents’ memorial window. He is named in the window along with his six siblings, Mary, Charlotte, William, Florence, Margery, and Gladys.
In the circular window is the Greenwood coat of arms, with the family motto, “Law and Loyalty”. In the main panels, the left one depicts a figure of “Faith” and the right one “Charity”. The plaque also bearing the Greenwood coat of arms was placed beneath the window by the congregation after the Viscount Greenwood’s death in 1938.
Above the Rev. E. Ralph Adye, Rector of All Saints’ Church, Viscount Hamar Greenwood, Viscountess Greenwood (with children Eric and Doborah behind her), and the Most Rev. Derwyn T. Owen, Archbishop of Toronto and Primate of all Canada, stand in front of All Saints’ after the unveiling of the Hamar Greenwood memorial window on September 4, 1938.
Below the Greenwood family poses with R.S. and Mrs. McLaughlin who hosted the Greenwood at Parkwood, the McLaughin residence in Oshawa. See more images in the Whitby Digital Archives.